Saturday, April 7, 2012

Before and After...

Have you ever experienced those moments where you feel like you've accomplished something. Those times where when you start a project you actually finish and then you stand back (gain perspective) and are proud of yourself because...well you did it! Sometimes it's the big things like high school, college or a mission that we really take notice of, but lately it's been the little things for me.

- Mowing the lawn with straight lines. (LOVE MOWING)
- Reading a vs or line from the Book of Mormon
- Workout everyday...even if it's only 10 push up's (IT'S SOMETHING)
- Taking time to be silent
- Smiling more often

I feel like all to often we find fault with ourselves because of all the things we aren't doing. Why is it so much easier to see the bad? I find it easy to notice the huge list of all the things that everyone "thinks" I should be doing, but what about the things I am doing?

I've been helping my brother up in Idaho with a project. I wanted to share the before and after pictures with you, but also want to share some thoughts that came to me as we worked.


I love physical work! I have since I was a child. As we began the process of remodeling, it was easy to see the improvements. It was almost instant results. Once we made a choice to change something we moved forward with that change and saw it come together in a week or two. The thought came to me that temporal changes & choices are so much easier to see then the changes that takes place in our hearts. A hair cut, color, or losing weight. What about the choices we make to change our character & personality. WHO are WE "before" we make the choice and WHO are WE "after" the choice is made? There is always a before and after with every choice we make in our lives. Our choices will either bring us into the light or away from the light.

3 comments:

  1. love the article ....great writing and great thoughts to ponder and put into action.
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true steph:) You are such an amazing sister and person. I look up to you so much, in so many ways. I love relationship we have. I love you. Lisa:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about bigger pictures of the remodel? I'm getting so old I can't see them tiny little ones :)

    ReplyDelete