(My Cute roommate made me some good luck signs)
1. Run the whole thing.
2. Complete every obstacle.
Before the race...*Notice the gibberish on my forehead. It was suppose to be my bib number, but the guy writing it was so cold he was shaking!
I'm not going to go into detail of every challenge, but if you are thinking you want to do this or are wondering what type of obstacles/challenges we did, here is the course map (Course Map).
Within a half mile from the start line the first obstacle "Kiss the mud" leaves you wet & muddy. I knew that being cold would take it's toll mentally & physically. Within another 1/2 mile, the cold took on a whole new meaning. The Arctic
Enema, is a huge dumpster of blue ice water laced with 1000's of pounds of ice cubes with a
large obstacle in the middle which forced you to go under water. I
decided at the beginning to not hesitate going into any obstacle. Saying the cold took my breath away would be a serious understatement.
As my body rebelled and my mind calculated the damages, my legs moved me
forward on autopilot. I dropped beneath the water and it felt like a
million needles poking my skull. My arms became useless as I tried to
push my body through the water. I grabbed the ladder and struggled to pulled myself
up and out. Only obstacle #2 & I knew my legs and arms & hands were going to be useless because of how cold I was going to continue to be. (Almost all the obstacles had some sort of cold water).
Will She Make it? NO!
We started out with a team of 11, but a short distance in most began to walk. I told them my goal was to run the whole thing and Casey, Liz, and Jarvis were in. So the 4 of us took off from the rest of the pack at about mile 3 and worked together to finish together.
After the "Mud Mile" obstacle I was feeling pretty good. Not sure Casey behind me was;)
At about mile 8 no one was really talking in our little group of 4 we were all more focused on running and finishing. We would pass people that would say "Look, there are still people running". I love being left alone with my thoughts and feelings & to be able to connect with my spirit. I learn so much about myself & I believe that's a big reason why I participate or do the things I do. Being able to completely focus on mind and body & listen. To be put in a situation or experience that opens the door for you to connect with something within you that you wouldn't if you hadn't had the experience.
OUCH!!
WE FINISHED!!
After the course I felt extremely beat up. My legs were locked up. My body temperature was low and I could feel my mental processes breaking down and my hand dexterity not working. Once I changed out of my wet clothes, it took about 3 hours before I felt like my body was able to warm itself up. The Day after the event, my body had time to rest and process what I had done to it. To say the least I wasn't moving around very well. Although my body still fells like it went through something significant, it is on the mend. My knee's took the biggest beating, they are still banged up a bit.
I earned my Badge!!




Steph, you're awesome!!!! I watched this on tv the other day and thought it looked great, right up until they started shocking people. That's just nuts.
ReplyDeleteBut you did it. Go you!
Wow, that is crazy! I knew they were tough, but I didn't realize they were THAT tough. Obviously you are THAT tough for finishing, even if you couldn't feel your extremities! Way to go! The next thing you should do is The Spartan.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you blogged about this! I'm so proud of you! Great job sis. The cold takes it to a whole new level.
ReplyDelete